Sociological Analysis

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Kareem Ali EXTRA CREDIT :)

May 23rd, 2011 · 1 Comment
Uncategorized

For this blog post, I will opt to answer both questions. When it comes to this class, I must first say that I do love this class because, as like other sociology courses, it challenges sociological theories and deals with sensitive issues that most people are afraid to confront. I really enjoyed the class this semester and thought that the information was definitely useful in my sociological studies going forward, but I did feel the concepts and terms were a bit overwhelming. For the most part, the handouts and other resources that we were given were all interesting. I enjoyed the way you taught the course, but I felt that you could have been less “powerpoint dependent”, because you clearly know all of the material very well. I feel that if class was 80% student-professor interaction and 20% lecture, class would have appealing to those who could not pay attention. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I think most would agree that when a professor uses slides to lecture the course it can become  a bit of a drag. I feel that sociology courses should always grab the attention the students, especially since most of the topics are debatable and raise great arguments.

After reading “Your So Called Education” I could see how Arum and Roksa, came to these conclusions. I personally have not felt deprived of a quality education since I started going to college. If anything I can say that it has gone above my expectations, especially coming from a City college. I do agree that the college life is less demanding on students, seeing how they do not require parents to be involved in a students academic progress. In my opinion topic is really hard to dissect. In college, students are expected to hold themselves accountable for their own success. In my opinion, I feel that it would be very hard for a college to attempt to hold every student accountable for higher academic achievement. This is why most, if not all, professors, gives their students a syllabus and tells them what is required of them, if a student decides that they do not want to follow the course load, then the professor will not force them to. This is not an indictment on “higher education”. Everyone is expected to hold their own weight. Maybe in other states certain colleges can focus on students more closely and ensure that they are doing what they need to be doing, but not in the New York City. This city is to busy and fast paced micro managing college students. On another note, we have to take account that there are many adjunct instructors that are teaching in colleges, and because many of them may not have a job next semester, that may weigh on how they evaluate their students. Is the material and assignments in certain colleges less demanding than others, sure, but this does not mean that students are being deprived of a better education. We have to remember that every one learns differently, and everyone absorbs information differently. Simply put, “to each his own”.

1 response so far ↓

• 1    Prof. Hala // May 23, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Yes, I’m coming to see the light on PowerPoints. My previous teaching experience was mostly discussion-focused and I lectured very little. I acted more as a facilitator. I had never used PPT until I came to Queens College. I didn’t rely on it much during my first ‘trial-by-fire’ semester here. But then I got the impression that using PPT somehow made an undergrad instructor more ‘legit,’ so I started integrating it, very clumsily at first. Then I over-relied on it, even though it was contrary to my natural style. I’m still trying to figure out how to use it effectively. As I said in a previous comment, it’s a tough call in a course like this, that is an introductory course that is meant to introduce you to the whole vocabulary of social research. It’s a challenge to deliver this amount of core content without going into lecture mode. I will take your useful suggested 20/80 lecture/interaction breakdown into mind. But as much as I’d prefer to discuss sociology, letting the discussion go where it may, I need to get across the concepts that are the building blocks for fruitful discussion.

I’m glad to hear your finding college, and sociology, fulfilling. As you point out, sociology deals with issues most people are afraid to confront. So the field draws a certain type of student — people brave enough to confront uncomfortable truths — the kind I like to teach.